Degree in Sociology
From the academic year 2018-2019, EHESS and the Moscow Higher School of Economics (HSE, Государственный Университет “Высшая школа экономики,” known as “Vyshka”) offer a bi-national (Franco-Russian), two-year dual master’s degree.
In their second year, students enrolled in the EHESS Master’s degree in Sociology study at HSE in Moscow, for one or two semesters (S3/S4). As for the students enrolled in the HSE’s “Comparative Social Research” master’s degree, they study one or two semesters at EHESS in Paris during their second year.
At the end of the program, students earn the two Master’s degrees awarded by the two institutions.
France – Contacts and information:
- Program Coordinator at EHESS: Françoise Daucé, Françoise.email@example.com
- Admissions Officer for MA Sociology:Christine Garcia – firstname.lastname@example.org – 01 53 63 51 07
Russia – Contacts and information:
- Program Coordinator at EHESE: M. Christian Froehlich, email@example.com
- For administrative inquiries : Ekaterina Cheklina –firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fakultet sotsialnikh nauk https://social.hse.ru; Master « Comparative Social Research » https://www.hse.ru/ma/csr
Main features of the Program
- The possibility to study for one or two semesters in the partner institution
- The possibility to choose among a wide array of courses
- A challenging research supervision by two professors – one from each institution
- A dual qualification delivered by each of the two institutions
Organization of the Program
All French students selected for the program will complete their first year at EHESS and their second year (or one semester during the 2nd year) at HSE. All Russian students selected for the program will complete their first year at HSE and their second year (or one semester during the 2nd year) at EHESS.
The dual degree is designed along the following scheme: EHESS students will benefit from the teaching of a visiting professor from HSE, and HSE students will be required to validate a course delivered by a visiting professor from EHESS.
Registration and tuition fees
- Students will be administratively enrolled in both institutions for the duration of the Program. They will acquit the tuition fees due at their home university for the two years of the Program.
- HSE students are eligible for a mobility grant from the French government. Students are to apply for this grant personally.
- Students will assume the financial burden incurred by their stay in the host institution, corresponding to their expenses, including textbooks, accommodation, food, travel, social security, and all other personal and medical expenses. Students will be expected to have social security coverage and to be insured for civil liability in compliance with each country’s legal regulations.
|Scheme 1||Scheme 2|
|120 ECTS = 2-year Master’s program (M1 + M2) = 4 semesters (S1-S4)|
|M1 – EHESS Paris – 60 ECTS||M1 – HSE Moscow – 60 ECTS|
|M2 – HSE Moscow – 60 ECTS||M2 – EHESS Paris – 60 ECTS|
|« Compared Sociology » or « Applied Compared Research »||6||Core curriculum
|« Today’s Sociology », S3||6|
|Elective courses||3 to 4 seminars||18||Reading and/or
|2 elective 24-hour seminars||12|
|Project development or
|12||Research seminars||3 24-hour seminars (including supervisor’s seminar + one seminar outside MA Sociology)||18|
|Dissertation written in French or English (approximately 100 pages). A 20-page summary in English to be submitted if the dissertation is written in French||18||Dissertation written in English or in French (with a 10- to 15-page summary in English)||24|
|The dissertation is assessed by both co-supervisors at EHESS and HSE|
- HSE examines the possibility for students from EHESS to stay in one of its university residences, depending on the number of rooms available.
- EHESS prioritizes EHESE students enrolled in the Program for the ten rooms reserved in the CROUS residences annually (Emeline Grondin: email@example.com).
The Russian language courses offered at HSE for EHESS students completing their second year at HSE in Moscow, and the French language courses offered at EHESS for EHESE students in their second year at EHESS may also be integrated into the students’ curriculum. Yet these courses do not grant credits, therefore they cannot be part of the 120 ECTS credits required to obtain both degrees.
Conditions of admission
- 10 students will be admitted annually (i.e. 5 students per institution)
- Admission is examined upon submitting an application. Selection will be made on the basis of students’ personal application file.
Students must provide the following documents by e-mail, in English
- Cover letter
- Research project (5 pages max.) which is planned to be carried out in the partner institution, mentioning the potential supervisor and courses attended in the host institution
- Transcript of grades obtained in the first year in the leading institution
- Copy of the certificate of proficiency in English, or any document testifying to the command of the English language
- Copy of the passport allowing to apply for a visa for the Russian Federation or France
- Waiver signed by the applicant authorizing the host institution to inform the leading institution of the candidate’s grades and results
|1 – Call for applications||Fall 2018|
|2 – Deadline for application submission||May 1st, 2019|
|3 – Communication of results to candidates||June 1st, 2019|