Through a silicon curtain? Resistances, hacks and circumventions of post-soviet Internet governance and information control
9.30 – 10.00 – Welcome and Introduction
10:00 – 12:30 – Civil society facing new digital constraints
Moderator: Olga Bronnikova (U. Grenoble-Alpes)
Discussant: Anna Zaytseva (U. Toulouse 2 Jean Jaurès)
- Mikhail Klimarev (Network engineer, telecommunications specialist, director of the Internet Defense Society) – Monitoring the regulation of the Internet in Russia. Is Sovereign Internet Possible in the 21st Century?
- Iryna Chulivska (Digital Security Lab Ukraine) – Resistance of NGOs and web professionals to the censorship law (6688) in Ukraine
- Perrine Poupin (Télécom ParisTech) – Evolving digital repertoires: State sovereignty vs social movements in Russia
12:30 – 13:30 – Lunch
13:30 – 15:30 – Evading legal constraints
Moderator : Francesca Musiani (CNRS, Centre Internet et société-CIS)
Discussant: Valéry Kossov (U. Grenoble-Alpes)
- Sarkis Darbinyan (Moscow, lawyer from Roskomsvoboda; Director of the Centre for Digital Rights) – Delegation of repressive functions to the private actors
- Elena Sherstoboeva (Moscow Higher School of Economics, Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong; Moscow, Elena Sherstoboeva’s Law Agency in Media and Copyright Law) – Regulations and practices of global and Russian social media platforms in the context of international legal standards on users’ freedom of expression.
15:30 – 16:00 – Coffee Break
16:00 – 18:00 – Cunning by infrastructures
Moderator : Ksénia Ermoshina (Post-doctoral fellow, CNRS, Centre Internet et société-CIS)
Discussant : Julien akataziden, internet provider, Director of the independent ISP “Ilico”, member of the Association of Independent Access Providers and the Quadrature du Net.
- Leonid Evdokimov (Developer, mathematician, specialist in network metrology) – Russia vs. Telegram: carelessness and sabotage
- Maxim Tulyev (Ukrainian Internet Service Provider, member of the Ukrainian Internet Association) – The tricks of Internet Service Providers in Ukraine
18:00 – End